22 Jan 2010

Ultimate energy-saving spotlights really work

I've just taken delivery of my first LED lightbulb (not counting my bike lights), and it's fantastic. It's a direct replacement for the standard halogen 50 watt spot (GU10 fitting) that everyone now seems to use in kitchens, bathrooms and even living areas.

Trouble with halogens is you put up half a dozen to light a room, and that's 300 watts! I've tried mini-flourescent equivalents, but the light is not as bright, and some of them can take ages to reach full brightness.

I heard that LEDs were now properly equivalent, so I thought I'd try one. I got mine from ebay - the seller I found does 5 for £35. That's cheaper than the best flourescents, and they last longer and cost less to run.

They're just 4.5 watts, so half a dozen of those add up to just 27 watts. And the amazing thing is they come on instantly and are immediately at full brightness. The light is truly as bright as a halogen. It's a very white light, so not necessarily what you want for a living space, but you can get less startling "warm" versions. And they are cool to the touch. Amazing. I'm sold.

7 comments:

DocRichard said...

This helps me in my pursuit of LEDs to replace my set of halogens, but I am a bit nervous of buying a load that turn out not to fit. I will follow your link in a spirit of hope...

Mike1727 said...

Are they a straight swap? Do you need any transformers or do they fit straight into the socket?

DocRichard said...

Nope, I had a look, and it is the wrong kind of spike at the end.

Simon Grover said...

They are a standard GU10 fitting - I swapped them straight over. If you have halogens that are GU10s, these should fit. But do take a look at the bulbs you have to make sure.

St Albans said...

they sound amaizing, and how long do they last?

Simon Grover said...

They're supposed to last 50,000 hours. That's five and a half years of continuous use!

Anonymous said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7772270352710954234&postID=4567981310005466894